Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Austin City Limits

Austin is BEAUTIFUL! It has rolling hills and TREES!!!!! I miss trees. Well, trees that are taller than my car. Anyhoo, We had a great weekend. I ended up not going to the breifings with Richard because there were none for me, but that's okay. Igot a little much needed down time for me! I hung out in the hotel room, which was downtown and about two blocks from the Capitol building, and then did some sight-seeing.

Here's the hotel we stayed in, The Sheraton, very NICE, compliments of the TX Army National Guard.

Here's the view from our room. We were on the 10th floor and couldn't get a good picture until I went for a walk. Apparently Austin has done a River-Walk thing down town kinda like San Antonio and although I never saw anything about it, I think this was part of it.



This is an old church I saw while walking to the Capital building. I 'm fascinated how old buildings and churches like this are right in the middle of a modern city. They look so out of place, but I think it adds to the beauty of the structure itself. I really love old churches anyway, especially ones with architecture like this one.
This is inside the Capitol building. When you look up into the dome, you'll see this spiral staircase. I was intrigued by it. I was way up at the top way above where the public can go. How cool is it though?


This is what you see when you look straight up into the dome. I had to zoom in on a zoomed in picture to see the letters around the star. Very cool and breath-taking.

This is the floor in the middle of the building. You obviously have to go up a few floors to get a picture. If you stand on the star in the middle and look up you'll be looking at the interior of the dome. The entire building was awesome. Richard and I were just taken aback by the architecture and the thought of the history that has happened there. The staircases were massive and the windows were huge. You just really have to see it with your own eyes to appreciate it.

Before Richard and I went to the Capitol building, I went to the visitors center while i was walking to get information of tours and things. Even the Visitors Center was a historical building. It was 30 years older than the capitol. I didn't get a picture of it, unfortunately. This is the view of the capitol from the visitors center.


What an awesome weekend getaway. I wish we had a little more time to see more of the city. maybe next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great week-end and such an interesting place to see. (How far is that from Mission?)

You didn't say how the purpose of the trip went. ??? later, Mom C.

Lana said...

We love Austin! Did you get to see the bats on Congress Bridge?

It is kind of neat in it's own sort of way. ;) My kids would love that part!