A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for adversity.
Proverbs 17:17
Friendship is a wonderful thing. I cannot imagine a day going by without talking with my friends...Ralph Waldo Emerson asserted that there are two cornerstones to friendship. One is truth, the other is tenderness. I agree. To love someone, we must know they are truthful with us. Love is built on respect and respect on trust. Truth and tenderness must go hand in hand because if they try to stand alone, one will be too hard and the other too soft.
I would add a third element that is essential to friendship-freedom. We can love others tenderly, be completely truthful with them, but unwittingly want them as our own. We find ourselves hurt if they do things with other people and we're not included. If we don't encourage them too be free (even of us), there is no real friendship. When we hold on to anything too tightly, it dies.
Luci Swindoll, I married Adventure

1 comment:
I just wanted to add that I have come to realize how important friendships are, especially to us women. Without girlfriends we would be wandering the face of the earth with no purpose. I just want all my girlfriends to know i treasure each one of you for who you are and that you make me want to be a better person. I love you all.
Post a Comment