Monday, May 5, 2008

Andrew


Today my baby turned 9! It's bittersweet I guess. I can still remember the day he was born and how happy I was to finally be a mom. But now it's not just about being a mom, it's about being Andrew's mom (and Aaron's too). God gave me such a blessing when he gave me Andrew. Every day I get to watch him grow a little more mature, a little more independent, and a little closer to God. He's clever, he's funny, stubborn (which he gets from his dad), but he's also sweet, caring, and very protective of his family. What an awesome gift Andrew has been to me.

We started celebrating his birthday on Friday, May 2nd. We took off for a family day at the beach, even Zoey got to tag along this time. We had a great time. We were there for about 3 1/2 hours and Andrew was in the water nearly the whole time. He loves the water and is very comfortable in it (another trait he gets from his dad).

On Saturday, after a baseball game, we took Andrew and his friend Darren to The Zone for some go kart racing, putt-putting, bumper boats, and games. We had a great time. The boys had the most fun racing each other on the go karts. In the video clip below, Andrew is in the red kart and Darren is in the purple one.


Just look at the smile on his face. They rode the go karts twice which gave them each a turn at winning.


Even though Andrew had fun all day, he still managed to be a little grumpy when I would ask him to pose for a picture. I guess we are creeping up on pre-adolesence, aren't we?

Saturday night, we had Darren come over for cake, ice cream and family movie night. Notice the blue tongue from the icing. All in all, i think he has had a good birthday. But nothing can replace the memories of spending your birthdays with family and friends.
On Sunday , Andrew and his dad had a special movie day to go see the new movie Ironman. He is still talking about it, so it must have been pretty good. Today, he had to go back to school. What a bummer, but I think he had a pretty good day. I took cupcakes to his class this afternoon and tonight we had McDonald's for supper (his pick).
When we got home from baseball practice he opened a few more presents and then off to bed. It is a school night you know.
Happy Birthday, Andrew! I love you and as long as I can, I will always tuck you in at night, and kiss you goodnight after you've gone to sleep...

No comments: